Stone County Law Enforcement Committee meeting
August 18th, 2016
Location: Stone County Court House
Topic: Deputy Replacement
Committee Members Present: All Others Present to Represent:
Eddie Cowell Stanley A.Townsend, JP
Bob Turner Stacey Avey, County Judge
Tim Turner Joshua Collums, DPA
Lance Bonds, County Sheriff
Dewayne Pierce, Chief Deputy
Jim Doss, Investigator
Charlie Revell, Dispatch
1. Meeting called to order at 6:04 PM.
2. Sheriff Lance Bonds and Chief Deputy Dewayne Pierce opened the meeting by stating that the Sheriff's Department was losing a part time Deputy and was
already short manpower as it was currently. The Sheriff's Department was asking for (2) two additional full time deputies to accomplish Deputy duties.
3. Chief Deputy Dewayne Pierce stated that the lack of man power was preventing the Sheriff's Departmenet from the following:
A. Responding to calls in a timely manner.
B. Prevents needed advanced training for deputies.
C. Hinders court transports and forces single deputy units to respond to calls of serious nature, without backup.
D. Criminal investigators are routinely answering non-emergency calls because there are no deputies available to respond.
4. Sheriff Bonds stated that every aspect of illegal activity has increased over time. However, our manpower has remained the same and is inadequate to the point
we cannot effectively do our jobs to assiat the people within the county.
5. Chief Deputy Pierce said by adding the positions requested it will allow the Sheriff's Department to:
A. Enhance the safety of the deputies on duty.
B. Provide more effective services to the citizens of the County.
C. An allow better response time.
D. It will cost approximately $30,000.00 to add one Deputy.
E. After lengthy discussion by the Law Enforcement Committee, JP Bob Turner made the motion to present the possibility of adding one (1) additional
postiton to the Sheriff's Department. JP Eddie Cowell seconded the motion.
F. In other discussion, Hear Dispatcher/Jailer Charlie Revell brought up the subject of 12 hour shifts for the dapartment.
G. It was decided that the Committee would address the subject further when they found out if the department fell under the correct criteria for that to be
legal . The Committee did not have enough information to make a decision at this time.
No Further discussion.
JP Eddie Cowell made a motion to adjourn; JP Bob Turner seconded it.
Meeting adjourned at 7:24 PM.
Tim Turner, Committee Chairman